Nowadays it is like everything needs to be linked with Aadhar. From bank accounts to PAN cards, everything needs to be linked to the 12 digit Aadhar number. But what if the aadhaar number falls into wrong hands unintentionally. What will happen then? Will the bank accounts be safe? These are some questions you would hear every day so looking into that the UIDAI(Unique Identification Authority of India) has initiated a new scheme by the name Virtual ID(VID).
Now the question arises, what is the real use of this VID? It will act as an ID which can be used as an Aadhar number but also protects a person’s Aadhar number from getting into the wrong hands. If fallen into really bad people, one might even lose his entire bank funding. So the VID is 16 digit number that can be used as the Aadhaar number but without revealing the actual aadhar number.
Generate Aadhar Virtual ID (VID) @Uidai.Gov.in
The VID is temporary and comes with a validity of mere 24 hours. However, one can disable the previously used VID as per need and create a new one when needed. Now let us see how the VID’s are generated. It is indeed very simple.
- At first, make sure you have the phone with the number given on the aadhar card centre.
- Now you can head over to the site resident.uidai.gov.in.
- Then you will see the VID generator on the site as a banner.
- Tap on that and you will be asked for your Aadhar number, security code and the captcha. Enter everything correctly and then tap on send OTP.
- An OTP will be now sent to the Aadhar registered number. Enter that number and then tap on generate VID.
- After this, you will also receive the VID as an SMS on the registered mobile number.
There are some places though where you still cannot use this VID. This includes creating a new bank account, availing govt subsidies, applying for a tatkal passport and to buy a new insurance policy.